Georgetown University proudly supports the HeForShe Campaign, the UN Women Solidarity Movement for Gender Equality. Our extraordinary students, faculty and staff continue to make growing contributions to building a safe and respectful community for all, strengthening our culture as a place where women thrive, and advancing the role of women globally.
HeForShe was developed by UN Women to engage men and boys as advocates and agents of change for the achievement of gender equality and women’s rights. The campaign encourages them to speak out and take action against inequalities faced by women and girls.
President John J. DeGioia represents Georgetown as a HeForShe "University Impact Champion." As an Impact Champion, he joins heads of state from around the globe, corporate leaders in a range of industries, and other university presidents worldwide in pledging to lead in the fight for gender equality. For more information on his fellow Impact Champions, please click here.
Make the Commitment
Are you #HeForShe? Join the movement and make the commitment here.
Georgetown University's Impact Commitments
Georgetown University has made three commitments in support of the HeForShe mission:
Work with UN Women to advance the role of women globally through the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security
Strengthen Georgetown’s commitment to a respectful, safe campus for all community members
Use the new Georgetown Women’s Alliance to create a culture where women thrive
These commitments—enacted through the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security (GIWPS), Georgetown Women's Alliance (GWA) and the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity & Affirmative Action (IDEAA)—seek to empower women across the Georgetown community, our nation, and our globe. For more information on Georgetown's commitments, please click here (scroll down to "Impact Commitments").
February 23, 2016 - Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, United Nations Under-Secretary-General and the Executive Director of UN Women, led a conversation on the global priorities of UN Women (above).The following events align with the HeForShe movement and are sponsored by the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security (GIWPS), Georgetown Women’s Alliance (GWA), the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, & Affirmative Action (IDEAA) and other University units.
Upcoming & Ongoing Events
- Ongoing - Sharing Strengths Workshop Series - GWA’s Sharing Strengths series draws upon the breadth and range of interests and experiences of the GWA membership. The sessions reinforce and extend the competence and strength of GWA members, whatever their roles in the workplace.
- Ongoing - Casual Conversations Series - The GWA is launching a casual conversation series for its members to engage in interesting discussions about topics of the day. Each session will be centered around a particular theme. The launch event, held on Oct. 30, 2015, examined “Women and Comedy.”
For a list of past events, please visit our Events Archive.
- Women Leading Peace - Report on women’s participation in peace negotiations
- Women and Climate Change - Report on the impact of climate change on women and how women are agents of change
- Information 2 Action - Series of short policy recommendation papers on topical subject
- Sponsorship of event honoring Professor Sonal Shah & the Beeck Center for Social Impact & Innovation for Washington Business Journal's “Women Who Mean Business”
- "Think About It" online training program on healthy relationships and alcohol consumption launched for undergraduate, transfer and graduate students
- "RESPECT Training: Preventing Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct" for staff and faculty achieved a 99% completion rate
- Hired staff under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to help foster dialogue, listen, and prohibit discrimination based on sex